This photograph sent me in about six different directions at once.
1) Horror. Whoa. A butt is never, never supposed to look like that.
2) Fascination. But…it does. It does! I can’t look away.
3) Curiosity. Is he unconscious? What did the spear go through? What’s in a butt cheek anyway? Just muscle, right? No major arteries or veins? And how will they get it out of there? Break off one end and pull out the other? (Owwwwww!!!!!!) Will they use an anesthetic? And who is this guy? I wish I could see his face. And where’s the other guy who shot him? Or…good god. Could he possibly have done it to himself? Why doesn’t he look wet? Did the accident happen on the boat? Did they cut his shorts to pull them down like that? And what’s that logo on his shirt? Something…DER? Why is he strapped down? And is that a fishing boat? It looks industrial. Was he commercially fishing? Is that really even a spear?…
4) Amorous. That medic is pretty cute.
5) Clinical. What’s with the scissors? Is he applying gauze? Like…a band aid? Seriously?
6) Empathetic. Wow. So that’s what the fish feels like.
copyright Dia Osborn 2012