(Quick note: These tips refer to dying, not death. I don’t have any hot tips for death yet. For those confused on the difference, dying is that thing we do at the end while we’re still very much alive. –Editor)
1) Dying is as much a gift as it is a punishment. Pick which view to invest in carefully as it will affect your entire life.
2) Accepting dying might not always make it easier when it comes, but being horrified is guaranteed to make it worse. (Trust me on this one.)
3) Learn about dying from people who are familiar and comfortable with it. The terrified can’t teach you much you don’t already know.
4) A “good death” is good for everyone. A “bad death” is bad for everyone. As a group we need to be shooting for a lot more good deaths than we are.
5) There’s some version of an afterlife/afterwards for everyone. Pick yours and start making it work for you now.
If I don’t get distracted by another idea (a big if these days) I’ll try and elaborate on these tips in upcoming posts. I imagine they probably need it.
copyright Dia Osborn 2013